Hi, all! I can’t believe I made it to 100 posts! Thank you so much for all the time you have spent reading my articles and my book reviews, and all of the thoughtful comments you have given me over the past two years. I am so grateful for this amazing community of readers. This 100th post feels like a huge landmark to me, and I wanted to give you all something huge in return, so here is a list of 100 places that I have read.
1. My reading chair. It’s the best spot in the house!
2. Our bedroom
3. At the kitchen table
4. At the dining room table
5. In our backyard, even when Xander wants my hair clips
6. In the game room
7. In Annabel’s room
8. In Xander’s room
9. In the bathrooms. Sorry, but true…
10. On our stairs
11. In our home office, usually while my husband plays games on the computer
12. In our front yard, beneath the walnut tree
13. In my car, during lunch
14. In my car, during road trips. Yay audiobooks!
15. At the kitchen sink, listening to an audiobook
16. At my desk, when the computers are down
17. Under my desk. That was a weird day…
18. In my very own office at work, when I had that for awhile before my boss decided I was better off in the thick of things.
19. In the break room at work
20. At a park bench near my work
21. In the kids’ room at the library, while the kids flip through picture books
22. At the big windows at the library.
23. In my car in the library parking lot, because I couldn’t wait to start
24. On walks through the park during my lunch break
25. At the park with my husband. He came to read with my on my birthday!
26. At my favorite coffee shop, Java Break
27. In my old bedroom in the house where I grew up
28. In the best climbing tree at the house we lived in when I was little
29. In the kitchen at that house, where I learned to read
30. In the basement at that house during tornado warnings
31. At my neighbors’ house, where I stayed when my parents were out of town
32. In the backyard, on the hammock
33. In the backyard, on the deck
34. On my old trampoline, to a little cousin who actually had been planning on jumping
35. In my parents’ living room
36. On the roof, in the middle of the night, when I thought I couldn’t get caught
37. In the old library meeting room, during a kid’s book club
38. Walking around the halls at my old Catholic elementary school, trying not to run into people
39. In the library at my old middle school, where my friend Lucy introduced me to The Wheel of Time
40. In my mom’s office, waiting for her to get off work
41. In the driveway with my childhood best friend, Lindsey
42. In Lindsey’s backyard, when we realized how much we both loved Tamora Pierce
43. On the trampoline by myself! Much easier without little cousins around
44. In every classroom I stepped foot in during high school
45. Of course my high school gym
46. In the band room, waiting on rehearsal
47. On some very long bus rides to football games
48. At church, but only if I was really sneaky
49. At my ex-boyfriend’s house, while we kept an eye on his little brothers
50. At KU’s beautiful Watson Library, while I was at college – seriously, tell me it doesn’t look like heaven!
51. In the Watson Library basement, where it’s dark and quiet and glorious
52. At the Spencer Research Library, where I read a book older than the country that I live in
53. In my old dorm room at Hashinger Hall
54. In my old dorm room at Ellsworth Hall
55. On the campus bus to and from classes
56. On the marching band field during water breaks
57. In the campus cafeteria
58. In Wescoe Hall, before, during, and after so many classes. Seriously, so many.
59. On the swings behind Hashinger Hall
60. In the practice rooms at Murphy Hall. Er, I mean, practicing my clarinet, yeah?
61. In hotel rooms during band trips
62. At a few college parties, because parties were never really my scene
63. At a New Year’s Party in 2009-2010, minutes before meeting my friend Buffy’s roommate Ryan
64. At our old house, before it was “ours” and when it was “my friend Ryan’s”
65. At our old house, when it became “ours”
66. At the restaurant where I would meet my big sister Angie for the first time
67. In Angie’s house, for the first time
68. In Angie’s new house, because now that’s a thing that I can do, like it’s no big deal
69. In my birth mom’s house, because that’s also a thing I can do
70. At the college health clinic, where I found out I was pregnant
71. In the OB office, waiting for all of those appointments
72. In the church basement, before the pre-marriage counseling sessions they require
73. At the bridal store, between trying on dresses
74. In the church, 30 minutes before I got married
75. On the train to Chicago for our honeymoon
76. At the hotel in Chicago
77. On the plane back
78. Before a breastfeeding class, before I had a baby to breastfeed
79. In the hospital, 9 months pregnant, during our many false alarms
80. In the delivery room, during labor
81. In the recovery room, with a 2 hour old Annabel, six years ago today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANNABEL!!
82. All of the strange places Annabel has since asked me to read to her
83. On a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico when our family was still just three
84. In the waiting room for the OB, when I found out we would have another mini-me!
85. In my mom’s car, which she let me drive back and forth to all of those appointments
86. In the hospital during a long 11 1/2 hour induced labor for Xander
87. In the recovery room, with a 2 hour old Xander
88. All of the strange places Xander has since asked me to read to him
89. In the waiting room for Xander’s neurosurgeon, after our pediatrician referred us
90. In the waiting room, sporadically, for 3 very long hours during Xander’s cranial surgery
91. In Xander’s recovery room, when I stayed up all night watching to see that he didn’t irritate his incision
92. At a hundred appointments at Hangar clinic, when we were getting Xander’s helmet adjusted every two weeks
93. At the neurosurgeon’s office, a year later, when we got the news that he looks great now!
94. At the park near our house where the kids actually play together
95. On the walking trails, when my husband isn’t looking
96. At my Mother’s Day breakfast picnic, but just for a minute
97. In the halls of that old Catholic elementary school, where Annabel is now a 1st grader
98. In a hundred bookstores
99. In every library I’ve ever put foot in
100. In every home and school and library and building, over 28 years and counting, and I know that I’ll never stop. Because there really is nothing like a good book, in good times and in bad, when I feel like I can take on anything, and when I feel like I need a break from my own world.